Long haul flights can be brutal - but a well stocked carry on bag can help limit the awfulness (to an extent). Below is my comprehensive list of "must have" items.
- Laptop & Phone: Stuffed full of games, movies, TV shows, audio books, podcasts and music to keep me occupied
- Colouring books & Pencils: I prefer the smaller colouring books because they're a little less awkward to use on the tiny seat trays.
- Books & Magazines: I normally have at least one of each on hand.
Need some more entertainment inspiration?
- Water bottle: Absolutely vital for preventing dehydration
- Toiletries: Toothbrush, toothpaste, miniature face wash and moisturiser.
- Face wipes: I don’t normally like face wipes because they aren’t great for the environment (or ultimately your skin) BUT when you’re on a long haul flight they are invaluable.
- Pyjamas: Although I do like to wear "normal" clothes when I'm in the airport I have to change into pyjamas once we're on the flight. I normally go with yoga pants and a loose long sleeved shirt.
- Eye mask: Excellent for blocking out light - especially from the screens of the people in front of you.
- Neck pillow: Yes they are a dorky but they’re also perfect for getting comfortable.
- Scarf: Like the towel in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy it's important to always know where your scarf is. Preferably a big, soft infinity scarf. It can be used to warm your feet or hands, as a pillow, blanket or even as -you know - a scarf.
- Herbal tea: I can't count the amount of times the airline has run out of herbal tea. Chamomile and peppermint are excellent choices. Peppermint can help with digestion, stress and nausea and is great to have first thing in the "morning" (or whatever they claim morning is on the flight). Chamomile can help you fall asleep a little easier and so is perfect to have before bed.
Need more tips for surviving a long haul flight?